And then I caught a cold.

Winter break is so awesome! Until you catch a cold. I thought at first I was just feeling the effects of the wine I had on New Year's Eve (I rarely drink alcohol... not a teetotaler... I just like chocolate better). So I laid around and read on New Years Day. Very indulgent. Until my throat got sore. I won't bore you with (any more) details but let's just say I've had a lot of time to read. And nap. And read. And watch TV. And, happily, read!
So here's what I've been reading this week. Ungifted by Gordon Korman I liked this story about a middle schooler who is struggling to find his place but keeps allowing himself to be led places he doesn't really want to go until he ends up in a school for the highly gifted and finds out maybe he belongs there more than he thinks he does.
The Barnstormers by Loren Long. Not my favorite. It felt more like a first chapter than a whole book. Three kids who's dad just died go on a barnstorming tour with their mom and the rest of the team to raise $10,000 (in the post Civil War period). Lots of baseball jargon.
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Dystopian future. Clones. Drug war. Very interesting premise and very well written.
The Son by Philipp Meyer (Look! I read grown up books too!) A sweeping saga of a family from Texas. It starts with the great grandfather in the 1800s who is kidnapped by Comanches. It's told from his perspective, his son's perspective, and his great granddaughter's perspective. I liked the part narrated by the great grandfather the best.
The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau I liked this dystopian future one about two kids who are trying to find a way out of their corrupt and dying city.
And because I didn't feel good, I also re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for about the millionth time.
I never get tired of that one or get over my feeling of amazement that J. K. Rowling is such a genius. And hopefully next week I won't have quite such a long list because I'll be feeling SO much better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming attractions in middle grade fiction!

A new adventure!

Sparkly brand new speculative fiction for middle graders!